Funding school improvements from surplus buildings and land
LocatED and the Department for Education’s Central Capital Unit are running a small scale pilot to explore how to reconfigure a selection of school properties with surplus buildings or land. The aim is to unlock funds to support additional capital investment in school buildings and, in turn, release land for homes. The pilot will focus on areas of England with high or very high housing need, with the potential to include affordable and teacher housing. Assessment of surplus land will not include marked playing fields and the decision to proceed with any works will always be the school and landowner’s choice.
This pilot is supported by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government and will collaborate with Homes England, the Greater London Authority and local authorities across England.
Why is it needed?
- Parts of the school estate are underutilised or surplus
- Some schools are not configured in the best way to meet their changing needs
- Demand for school condition improvement work is increasing nationally
- There is low awareness of how to unlock funds to provide additional capital investment in school buildings
What are the benefits?
- Release of funds for investment to improve condition of school buildings
- Proactive support and co-operation with local authorities to meet challenging national housing targets
- Potential to include teacher housing
- Support to access additional funding streams
- Expert property advice and guidance for schools
- Better long-term estate management
How can your school get involved?
The current pilot intake is now full. If you have a school site you would like to be considered in any potential future phases of this pilot, please send details for consideration to SchoolEstate@LocatED.co.uk.
To receive general notifications about any potential future intakes please subscribe to receive updates about the pilot via the online form on this page.
For enquiries about the pilot please contact the School Estate Team at SchoolEstate@LocatED.co.uk.